dvfs api and toolkits

Nate Nielsen nielsen-list at memberwebs.com
Sun Apr 10 03:19:58 EEST 2005

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> That is why I think it is important to tell the application about seek
> capabilities instead of faking them.
> The application could for example deactivate GUI elements that would trigger
> seek operations to give the user a clue that it isn't possible for the
> current document.

Yes agreed.

In many cases good design exposes aspects of the underlying
implementation to the user, rather than hiding them under yet another
layer of (often crufty) abstraction.

This allows the user to understand *why* something isn't working as they
hoped. Then the user can come up with possible solutions (ie: in the
case of the 'movie file example', they could copy it to their local disk
and watch it from there).

Cheers,
Nate