An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Tue Apr 12 05:50:05 EEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:49:05PM -0400, Maks Orlovich wrote:

> On Monday 11 April 2005 07:15 pm, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 06:44:06PM -0400, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > And frankly, looking at the KDE4 timeline, and your lofty list of goals
> > > that's not very likely (particularly the well-testedness)
> >
> > Where is the KDE4 timeline?  I can't find it in the usual place I look:
>
> If my memory serves me right, it'll aiming at ~1 year cycle, starting
> pretty soon, though KDE is not very organized about those things.

A year is a pretty long time to have for development - if you avoid
unnecessarily breaking the API, and you start immediately.

> > The prevailing suggestion for a shared configuration system, ie. one in
> > which you talk to a config daemon using D-BUS, appears to me like you
> > wouldn't have to change the KConfig API or ABI in order to implement it.
>
> You're forgetting about the config file format.

Why would you want to change the config file format?

Anyway, even if you did change it, you could provide a pretty easy 1:1
mapping between the old and the new system in order to upgrade files to the
new style.

Have fun,

Avery