Bringing fdo.org to the next level

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Apr 15 14:20:19 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 12:17 +0200, Philippe Fremy wrote:

> Well, it seems that so far, freedesktop has worked very well in an
> informal way, without formal board and approval process.

> The discussion here are usually enough to foster technical discussion
> and reach consensus between desktops when consensus can be reached.

True. But what if consensus can't be reached but should be?

> Can you explain what you think the current problems are with the current
> organisation, and what a new organisation would do to resolve those
> problems ? Your proposition sounds a lot like LSB to me and it was clear
> here that this is not the way freedesktop wants to work.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make it look like the current organisation
has problems. There's imho no problem with the current organisation. My
proposal is about bringing it to the next level. Or about trying to
improve the organisation. To make it perform better.

> If your proposition relates to the lengthy discussion about d-vfs or
> dconf, my very personal opinion is that you should first start to write
> code, and then show it and discuss it (like Linus said, "show me the
> code!"). Freedesktop was created in the spirit of people writing code
> and discussing together real problems. It has worked in this way so far.
> I consider the two recent discussion a major exception to this and I
> hope that this is not going to become the trend.

My proposition isn't related to the lengthy discussions about d-vfs
and/or dconf.

[CUT]

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos