Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Claes Holmerson claes at it-slav.net
Tue Apr 19 01:11:45 EEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Monday 18 April 2005 20:39, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > We dont need a solution to this for Dconf at this point. However I
> > suspect the keys will look something like :
> >
> > Key						Value
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1.uri		http://www.slashdot.org
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1.displayname	Slashdot
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.2.uri		http://linuxtoday.com
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.2.displayname	Linux Today
> >
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.folder.1.uri		/home/jamie/documents
> > org.freedesktop.bookmarks.folder.2.uri		/home/jamie/hacking
>

> That's something that bothers me about key based configuration systems... what
> happens if I remove org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1 ? Do my bookmarks then
> start at 2? Are 1 and 2 some sort of sequence numbers, or should they be seen
> as unique identifiers? Should the config system have a function for "give me
> a new id that isn't used yet" ?

Agreed. The above notation implies a significant ordering - but are really
your set of bookmarks an ordered list, or do you rather collect a set of
bookmarks? The above notation adds one kind of
data structure (ordered list) on top of another data structure (map) - not
very neat.

I went looking for various data structure serialization formats. XML is
well known of course. I had heard about YAML (www.yaml.org) before, but it
was interesting to read its spec from the DConf perspective. So was OGDL
(ogdl.sourceforge.net). YAML supports maps and lists, while OGDL uses a
complex type that preserves order and can hold duplicate entries.

Claes