Shared keybindings

Andrew J. Montalenti ajm at pixelmonkey.org
Tue Aug 16 06:22:24 EEST 2005

The Super_L (Windows) key can be used as a modifier (it shows up as such
in xmodmap for me), but GNOME doesn't seem to take advantage of it.  In
the Keyboard Shortcuts preference panel, I cannot use Super_L as a
modifier, but only as a key.  It probably would be useful if Super_L
were generally made available as a modifier, so that one could use
Super_L exclusively for WM bindings, for example.

I do agree with you that keybinding conflicts are quite annoying, what
with our various levels of keybindings nowadays (XServer, WM,
Application, and Console).  It would be nice to make distinctions so as
not to confuse users.

However, I wouldn't exactly say Mac OS has "solved" this problem.
Keybinding conflicts still exist there.  For instance, imagine a program
which makes use of F9, F10, and F11 (Expose's keys).  Any program that
did has had to patch itself to avoid the conflict[1].  Ultimately, in
any complex system, we're gonna have conflicts eventually.  I think the
biggest source of problems nowadays is between the WM and application,
so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for WMs to make available their
bound hotkeys to application developers (so that thoughtful developers
could replace vital hotkeys that are in conflict with sane
alternatives).  As for console/vte conflicts, I assume most people who
are dropping into the console know why "CTRL+C" can't be used for Copy
anyway (and furthermore, they'll probably use primary selection
anyhow ;-)).

[1] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=F9+%2Bconflict+expose+Mac
+OS+X&btnG=Search

--