ogg [was Re: [clahey at ximian.com: docbook mime type detection]]

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Aug 16 11:49:43 EEST 2005

> That is *spectacularly* broken. I assume the ogg people have been
> larted for this?

It's also very common: QuickTime MOV and Windows AVI files work exactly the same
way. Neither has to contain video although they usually do. Even if the Ogg guys
were publically larted and vowed to reform we'd still have to deal with that.

Short of some plugin API for MIME type detection (which I've wanted since
forever) a hack could be to have a simple Ogg Handler program that figured out
what the 'closest' MIME type is and then forwards the open file request to that
program. If the Ogg file contains video, it'd go to whatever app handles
video/x-theora, if not then it goes to whatever app handles application/x-ogg.

Ditto for any other container types that cannot be distinguished by file
extension (are there any others?)

thanks -mike