ogg [was Re: [clahey at ximian.com: docbook mime type detection]]

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Aug 17 00:14:46 EEST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:28, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 7/26/05, Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net> wrote:
> > > What would be preferable then? (I looked for what ogg tarkin does, but
> > > no success- seems it isn't in the primary DB either?)
> >
> > Ogg Tarkin isn't a filetype. Tarkin is the video codec, Ogg is the
> > container. Only the container has a mime-type (this is slightly
> > different for some other video types because they have different file
> > extensions for different purposes).
>
> OK, so, on my system muine claims in muine.desktop to own the following:
>
> MimeType=audio/x-mpegurl;application/x-ogg;application/ogg;application/x-fl
>ac;audio/x-flac;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpeg;
>
> Apparently the net result of this is that, in a default installation,
> muine is the default handler for theora. What should the muine
> .desktop file (or the system defaults.list?) do to fix this, so that
> vorbis is handled with muine (or whatever) and theora with totem (or
> whatever?)

You should not use application/ogg, but audio/x-vorbis if you want to play ogg
vorbis files. The mime-type detector should detect the correct mime-type
using MAGIC, and only reply application/ogg for unknown profiles. Ogg types
are very easy to detect magically.

This is what KDE has done since 3.2, and one of the reason we require
mime-type hierarchies.

`Allan