Desktop Entry Spec : RootRequired entry

Manu Cornet Manu.Cornet at GMail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:31:37 EEST 2005

Hi !

> This seems like the wrong way to go about this to me. There are some
> things users SHOULD see in the menu AND that require elevated priveleges
> to use. Changing the date/time, software update tools, file sharing with
> samba, are just some examples.

I really can't see why these things SHOULD be seen in the menu for
non-sudoers. If I don't have a sudo/root password, and I want to set the
time & date, I click on the appropriate entry... And the only thing I
can get to is gksudo's dialog awaiting for a password, which I don't
know. That doesn't give me much of an information (not to mention it's
quite frustrating), and in this case I'd better see this entry hidden
from me, since I can't use it anyway.

As long as a program can actually provide me with some information
without entering a sudo/root password (even though maybe I can't change
everything I want, just visualize the settings), then its RootRequired
value should be at least "optional", and the entry won't be hidden.

> If your menus are overly cluttered, it might be better to think about
> how some of these things can be consolidated, or reorganized, so that
> the menus are not as cluttered. I don't think we should be putting
> workarounds for usability/design issues within the specs.

The menus are already very well organized, especially the System menu
with an Administration submenu. I just really don't see the point of
letting non-admin users see all this admin stuff they can't use at all,
even inside a submenu...

Cheers,
Manu