Icon Naming Spec: "go-*" icons

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Dec 12 08:54:32 EET 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:30, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > On 12/11/05, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
> >>The reason for this is that there need to be SIX icons here.  I attach a
> >>screen shot of a portion of my Toolbar on KPDF.
> >>
> >>In KDE, these six icons are called (LTR):
> >>
> >>----------------
> >>start
> >>back
> >>forward
> >>finish
> >>----------------
> >>previous
> >>next
> >>----------------
> >
> > I've never seen kpdf in action, and was wondering what's the
> > difference between "forward" and "next".  They might have a use in
> > streaming media, but that has the media-* icons already.
> >
> > Also, the (newer) screenshots at kpdf web site had only two buttons,
> > are there other places where this distinction is needed or is the
> > toolbar just customized to have two?
>
> Yes, the default configuration is only two buttons.  However, the "Go"
> menu always has all six options no matter how your toolbar is
> configured.  See attached with KDEClassic icons.  Note that, showing the
> confusion with this issue, that these icons are not correct.  The icons
> for "Previous Page" & "Back" are switched as are "Next Page" & "Forward".
>
> > Furthermode, I don't see what's the use case for having separate
> > "forward" and "next" at all (at least in paged media)?

 Just because it's paged media doesn't mean it's only logically navigable in a
linear fashion.   There are thumbnails, search capabilities, and hyperlinks
available in PDF's too.

I expect next/previous are the next (or previous) logical page.  If you are on
page 2, previous would take you to page 1.  Back and Forward probably page
through your history.  If you are on page 1, but you got there by a hyperlink
from page 734, back would take you to page 734.

Based on bug reports about help navigation, and this thread, the distinction
is clearly lost on most people, but nonetheless it exists.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org