Common xpdf version for GNOME and KDE

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Tue Feb 1 18:36:23 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:36 +0100, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:42:51AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi Havoc,
>
> > > Furthermore a common-xpdf mailing list for discussion would be quite
> > > usefull.
> > >

> > It's a good idea. I wonder if you should do copyright assignment on it,
> > so in principle you could eventually assign fixes back to the upstream
> > guy and preserve his dual-license business.
> If I want to do copyright assignments I'd use the BSD license ;)
> GPL is the way to go IMHO and as a project on _free_desktop.org we
> should keep it.

I don't think we're looking at an alternative license to the GPL for
this project.  If we did a copyright assignment to the original author
then he could continue the business that he started with xpdf sometime
later.  By assigning copyright to the original author he may be able to
use our changes in the future and relicense the software in a non-GPL
license which is presumably what he has been doing as a part of his
business.  It's just a nice way of forking his work which allow him to
continue the business he started with xpdf later on if he sees the value
in our project.  Otherwise our fork looks slightly more hostile and
could possibly screw the original author's one man business over.

Of course we should email him to find out if he's at all interested in
this prospect anyway.

> Ok, so when nobody objects, how is the procedure to open a new
> 'software project' on freedesktop.org?

I think we need to talk to Daniel?

~ Bryan