Interested in a spec for starting desktop sessions via gdm2

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Feb 10 16:53:39 EET 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:37:00PM -0800, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 14:18, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > a feature I would like to work on is to support the ability to login
> > to a specific desktop session (such as one defined via
> > gnome-session-save) from the login screen.  I think the best
> > approach would be if GNOME and KDE could specify the available
> > sessions via a common format and in a file with a common name.
> >
> A little additional data point for this topic.  CDE has a similar
> functionality already.
>
> There are basically three types of session in CDE: 1) Home, 2) Last,
> 3) $DISPLAY.  If 3 exists it is used, the choice between 1 and 2 is
> a user preference.
>
> CDE has no ability to allow the user to pick one.

that seems to be the same as kde. we decided against choosing the
session state at login time; it is configured permanently in the
ksmserver setup.
the problem is, that every session type would need to provide its own
sub-sessions. my idea back then was having scripts that output the list
of sessions on demand. however, having entries like
Sessions[kde]=Previous::prev,User-defined1::user1,User-defined2::user2,New Session::empty
in ~/.dmrc is certainly a better idea, now that we have this file.
the other problem is presenting this in the gui in a sane way ...