Icon themes

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 14 06:21:15 EET 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 20:36, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list and didn't see a way to search, so forgive me if
> anything is duplicated.
>
> I've been working on a theme (Lila) which adheres to the FD.o specs, so
> I've been catching wind of what those are, how to organise icons, etc.
> I've also noticed that there is no general agreement on how to name
> icons.  For example, a handful of apps that I use have play/pause/etc,
> but some look for icon names of media-*, while others look for
> stock_media-* or gtk-media-*, etc.
>
> There seems to be no mention of a consistency in naming icons but that
> seems like a nice thing to have.  Have I just missed this in searching
> on the Internet?

No, there exists no standardization of icon names. It is certainly of
interest, since it is the key to themes which actually aren't bound to
a desktop environment, as well as it simplifies a lot of practical details.

I did an initial draft, which standardized icon names, as extension to the
Icon Theme specification, collected from KDE's and GNOME's repositories. That
draft is a good start, but nevertheless remains massive grunt work and
coordination -- which unfortunately will have to continue to wait for me for
undefined time, unless it also brings food on the table. Perhaps I should
contact a distro.

I think your alternative is to do what themes currently do: tailor for a
certain desktop environment.

Cheers,

		Frans