Integrating IM applications - OFI

Igor Popik thrull at slackware.pl
Thu Jan 13 18:02:58 EET 2005

Hi everyone,

I would like to present OFI project - org.freedesktop.IM interface
proposal for Instant Messenging applications which uses D-BUS as a
communication platform. Everybody knows that *nix has a great number of
different IM desktop applications with support of different IM protocols
- but there is lack of integration with other desktop components (web
browsers, mail apps).

The goal of OFI is to provide interface standarization not a complex
solution (however sample implementation and library is provided).

This only a proposal of interface standard. It is simple, but It is
working: we managed to to implement it in Gossip, Mozilla and GNOME and
our IM app GNU Gadu - http://www.gnugadu.org.

We are aware of Galago project. But in our opinion such integration
should be done in ligth-weight manner :-)

Some links:

http://ofi.hakore.com/ - Project page
http://ofi.hakore.com/ README.OFI - document describing the thing,
please read it before you will flame us :-)

Some code:
svn co svn://svn.hakore.com/ofi
http://ofi.hakore.com/ofi-0.1.tar.gz

Cheers,