Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 14:00:38 EET 2005

Ikke wrote:
>>So would you consider adding profile support to Dbus?
>

> Wouldn't this take away the ease that DBUS brings? Now you can say "I
> need to send out one stupid simple message, let's use DBUS, it's like 5
> lines of code". Once you need to start writing profiles for the message
> you want to send it starts to become quite bloated.
> Defining interfaces can and should be done by some fdo standard (thats
> why I proposed DAL in the first place: standardize
> inter-desktop-application communication).

The profile is defined by freedesktop and would be on its website - ie
its purely documentation and describes the interface (I used xml to do
it but you could use something else). You never need to send the xml or
include it in your code - sorry for that confusion. The only thing
needed to be added to Dbus would be a means to query for a list of
services that implement a profile.

jamie.