Quick questions

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sat Jan 15 01:45:39 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 17:17, Ikke wrote:
> I still got some troubles to fully understand the meaning of all
> "fields" in DBUS: the a.b.c thing, the /a/b/c thing, and the last
> "name" (which can be compared to a function, I guess?)

You have a service (a.b.c) which is like a phone number.  It routes
messages to the correct recipient (note signals are broadcast so they
don't specify a service).  Then you have an object path (/a/b/c) which
can be thought of as a pointer to an object.  It really is just an
arbitrary string which we compare in the method filter functions to make
sure the correct object is used.  Applications can export any number of
objects so this string is used to identify them by convention though it
is not enforced by d-bus (but may be by a d-bus binding).  Interfaces
(also of the form a.b.c) are also arbitrary strings but are ment to be
used to find the correct method to invoke.  This allows bindings to do a
form of inheritance and polymorphism where you have the same method name
but different code is executed based on the interface.  Most code right
now just checks that the interface and object path are correct and if
not returns a DBUS_HANDLER_NOT_YET_HANDLED result in the filter
function.

<snip>

> Next to this: anyone's got a good/better name for DAL?

The Common Desktop Interface Specification - making apps play well with
each other since 2005.
--
J5