Quick questions

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jan 15 04:43:11 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 23:17 +0100, Ikke wrote:
> I still got some troubles to fully understand the meaning of all
> "fields" in DBUS: the a.b.c thing, the /a/b/c thing, and the last
> "name" (which can be compared to a function, I guess?)

Service name is like a domain name. there can be multiple identifying a
single app.

The object path is like a pointer or reference to an object in
C++/Java/whatever

An interface is just like an interface in a programming language, a type
that an object can implement.

The method name is just like a method name in a programming language.

> I created some very simple proposal of how a Screensaver event should
> look like here [1]. If this is completely wrong, please let me know.

You don't need the .DAL. in there, because there's nothing DAL-specific
about this. It's just a regular interface.

I'm not sure what org.freedesktop.DAL.Screensaver.Event would do.

You might want something like this:

service org.freedesktop.Screensaver
object /org/freedesktop/Application
interface org.freedesktop.Screensaver
  method setEnabled
  method getEnabled
  signal EnabledChanged()

Or something like that. The set/get/changed thing needs standard
conventions which aren't documented yet. I was thinking of using the C#
approach (an attribute implies methods set_Enabled/get_Enabled and I
forget what signal)

The convention that all apps implement an /org/freedesktop/Application
object is one that we haven't written down yet but sounds plausible to
me.

Havoc