Quick questions

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Sat Jan 15 13:13:21 EET 2005

> You don't need the .DAL. in there, because there's nothing DAL-specific
> about this. It's just a regular interface.
Doesn't org.freedesktop.Screensaver supply not enough information?
HAL also uses org.freedesktop.Hal.Device (etc), which is more logic
IMHO.

> I'm not sure what org.freedesktop.DAL.Screensaver.Event would do.
It'd be a signal sent out when a screensaver event happens, with one
additional parameter, a string being ScreensaverStarted or
ScreensaverStopped.

> You might want something like this:
>
> service org.freedesktop.Screensaver
> object /org/freedesktop/Application
> interface org.freedesktop.Screensaver
>   method setEnabled
>   method getEnabled
>   signal EnabledChanged()
The enabled stuff should not be necessary. I was thinking of a way where
an app could do a broadcast request like "is there any screensaver
application running", after which all (well, normally only one, but you
never know) will report they're active.

> Or something like that. The set/get/changed thing needs standard
> conventions which aren't documented yet. I was thinking of using the C#
> approach (an attribute implies methods set_Enabled/get_Enabled and I
> forget what signal)
C# get/set methods are not implicit ;) You have to define them
explicitly on public objects. In fact, they aren't even real objects:

private int a;
public int A {
	get {
		return a;
	}
	set {
		A = value;
	}
} or something alike.

> The convention that all apps implement an /org/freedesktop/Application
> object is one that we haven't written down yet but sounds plausible to
> me.
That's what should become a part of DAL: when an app starts or stops,
this should be reported on the session bus, including a definition of
what the app *is* (an email client, a music player,...). This way
applications that want to use other apps dont have to maintain a list
like "XMMS is a music player, Rhythmbox too, Evolution is an email
client,..."

> Havoc

Ikke