Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jan 15 18:18:43 EET 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 13:33 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> There are only 2 use cases that I know of using Dbus:
>
> 1) You want to communicate with a specific app
> 2) You want to communicate with an interface and you dont care what the
> app is
>
> With your suggestion option 1 would not be possible.
>
> The way to solve this is to make service name = app name and then make
> org.freedesktop.TextEditor an interface.

You don't understand how it works today. Apps have *multiple* service
names. If you want to talk to "this instance of gedit" then there is a
unique ID made up on the fly like ":343"
If you want to talk to "any gedit" use org.gnome.gedit
If you want to talk to "any text editor" use org.freedesktop.TextEditor

All of these names will be aliased to gedit, assuming you are running
gedit. If you run some other text editor first, then the first two will
still be aliased to gedit, but TextEditor will be aliased to the other
editor.

Havoc