Integrating IM applications - OFI

Marcin Krzyzanowski krzak at hakore.com
Sun Jan 16 10:43:30 EET 2005

Użytkownik Mike Hearn napisał:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:09:42 +0100, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>
>>What's the difference of having it in the client library or in a daemon.
>>specially when there is not too much code.
>

> The difference is that you're not constantly pinging connected
> applications with broadcast "give me your data" messages. This is a great
> way to kill performance by preventing any clients from being paged out by
> the operating system, dramatically increasing memory pressure.
>
> Actually that's only one reason. There are others. Christian explained a
> few.

Could you explain in more detail why processing d-bus requests will
dramatically increasing memory pressure, I don't get it.

You don't have to constanty send broadcasts messages you know it.

> Sure it's technically possible to do everything in a client library,
> in much the same way that you don't technically need an X server, just a
> kernel-level framebuffer mutex but you'll get *much* better performance by
> using a more sensible design.
>

>>No matter how the daemon is small, fast and simple. I think the daemon
>>is simply not required.
>

> I think you're assuming dropping the daemon will improve
> system performance. It won't. It will make it worse.

what D-BUS is for then ? If there is additional daemon, specific library
with API then D-BUS is just unecessary overbloat.

> If it's not performance you're concerned about then what is it? Please
> elaborate exactly what your problems with an extra process are, because
> right now I don't see any obvious reasons behind it, just a vague
> feeling that it's unnecessary and heavyweight.

every additional daemon is a problem.

First, you have to know that it have to be launched.
Second, you propably have to configure it
Third, You have to know when it should be launched and why.
Fourth, If you don't use distribution packages sometimes (may users)
then you just have additional problem
Fifth, you should know how to stop it,
Sixth, if a daemon is to be a middleway between apps then why D-BUS is for.
Seventh, with daemon you'll process every request, without you don;t
have to (you can only process you were requested)

--
Marcin Krzyżanowski