Integrating IM applications - OFI

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at tiscalinet.be
Sun Jan 16 20:58:38 EET 2005

Le Dimanche 16 Janvier 2005 18:16, Mike Hearn a écrit :
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 09:43 +0100, Marcin Krzyzanowski wrote:
> > Could you explain in more detail why processing d-bus requests will
> > dramatically increasing memory pressure, I don't get it.
>
> If you don't have a daemon to cache information then anytime you want to
> build up a list of presence you have to go ask everything that might
> provide it. Eg if you want a combo-dropdown widget with all your online
> friends in, each presence provider must be woken up and pass its
> presence data back to you. Likewise if you want to know the online state
> of a particular person (because they may have switched services).

I don't see how the daemon change something here.
The daemon still have to ask every client.
Or are you saying that each client should tell the daemon each time a contact
change his status ?  In that case, that will make a lot of more dbus calls.

> Potentially that means several instant messengers, an IRC client, phone
> software etc. The code inside all of these for processing these
> broadcast RPCs must be loaded [back] in from disk into memory.

> That  could happen everytime you read a new mail message eg Evolution/KMail
> asking "are any users with this email address online?".

This show us another problem: how to identify contacts.  How an IM program
could know the email address of contacts ?
In Kopete, we use the KAdressBook id (each contact may be associated to the
adressbook)  But this is not desktop independent.