Integrating IM applications - OFI

Marcin Krzyzanowski krzak at hakore.com
Mon Jan 24 12:11:17 EET 2005

Użytkownik Matt Rogers napisał:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 05:37 pm, you wrote:
>
>>Użytkownik Matt Rogers napisał:
>>
>>>On Thursday 13 January 2005 10:02 am, Igor Popik wrote:
(...)
>>>org.freedesktop.im.getPresence( contactURI ):
>>>
>>>unless it's planned to get status information for yourself, the 'Hidden'
>>>value in the standard ofi presence strings is pretty pointless since the
>>>client you're getting the information from is not going to know if
>>>they're 'Hidden'
>>
>>I know at least one protocol which return me information about hidden
>>contacts.
>>

> Which one is that? I don't know of any.

Gadu-Gadu is the one :) The point is to allow a lot of possibilities at
one time, such data can be interpreter anyhow, important is to have this
data.

>>>We should only get one type of status string. While you can be online and
>>>away, it makes no sense to send both. All the statuses are pretty much
>>>mutually exclusive since Away applies that are one is also online.
>>
>>The point is to allow freely mix statuses if needed. example : away with
>>description but marked as visible for friends only would looks like
>>"Away","","desc","Private","",""
>>This data can be received for any status from buddy list and for user
>>himself so then other apps can check you current status.
>>

> IMHO, the above is too specific to a protocol (Gadu-Gadu in this case). That's
> one of the inherent problems with these types of interfaces, they can't be
> protocol specific, unless you define an interface per protocol.

with Jabber propably there could be send additional data about  presence
subscription. I don't mean it protocol specific, currently I work with
protocols whchic handle presence in completly different ways, but it
seem possible to work with it giving just general unified data and
manipulate it within protocols plugins.

>>Have to be set/worked out standard set of available key words to
>>describe possible flags.
>>

>>>It's a nice lightweight interface, but i think there's room for things
>>>that can and should be added, such as photos/buddy icons and things of
>>>that nature, but it's a decent start.
>>
>>right, We just had to check how our concept will be in your eyes, and
>>hope he should work with that more, or leave it.
>

> (btw, you don't need to CC me, i'm on the xdg list :) )

sorry I just pressed reply and it put you on CC :)

--
Marcin Krzyżanowski