continued: Common-VFS proposal

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Mon Jan 24 15:16:45 EET 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I proposed the following a while back:
>
>http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xdg/2003-September/002456.html
>
>I think it's more feasible than any sort of "one true API" approach.
>
>Havoc

The thing i'm proposing on my page (plugging the front-end of Gnome-VFS
into the backend of KIO) is a kind of a "shared backend" approach.

 From concept a "shared backend" would always be a fully equipped VFS
library with middleware, daemon and modules. It just needs all that
stuff to work (Perhaps with some little bits missing in the client part).

So why not use Gnome-VFS as "shared backend" in KIO and start
redirecting protocols one by one as soon as the qualitiy of a Gnome-VFS
Module matches the KIO one (the migration you suggest). Might be less
work than writing a complete third VFS.

Cheers,

Norbert