Common xpdf version for GNOME and KDE

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jan 29 18:42:51 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 17:43 +0100, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> since GNOME and KDE developer experienced that the xpdf developer(s)
> don't accept external patches, but the original version of xpdf is quite
> limited and is missing a lot of usefull code, I'd like to suggest a
> common version of the xpdf sources hosted on freedesktop.org.
>
> Developer from the GNOME and KDE project could put all their environment
> independent extensions there, so that we don't have to reinvent the
> wheel over and over again.
>
> Furthermore a common-xpdf mailing list for discussion would be quite
> usefull.

It's a good idea. I wonder if you should do copyright assignment on it,
so in principle you could eventually assign fixes back to the upstream
guy and preserve his dual-license business. I don't know if people want
to do that, but it seems like it's the only way he could ever take
external patches without killing his income.

Caveat, I don't know anything about the situation really, just from his
web site it looks like a Qt/BDB-style business model but maybe a 1-
person company doing it around xpdf.

Havoc