Unified autostart scripts directory

seventh guardian seventhguardian_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:43:31 EEST 2005

Hi!

After being using kde since ever, I gave a try to xfce. The real pain was to
reconfigure the "basic" stuff, like autostarting programs and xmodmaps. I
used to have these scripts in ~/.kde/Autostart, but that obviously doesn't
work for xfce.. The xmodmaps were solved after getting to know the
~/.xprofile file, but for the starting of programs, that was a tricky thing.

Currently, kde has the autostart dir in ~/.kde/Autostart, fluxbox has an
autostart script in ~/.fluxbox/startup, and xfce uses the
~/Desktop/Autostart. This last dir is suposed to be a standard, but the fact
is that it's only used (as far as I know) by xfce.

Also, having a dir in ~/Desktop/ for autostarting programs is rather
annoying, as ~/Desktop/ should be used only for the things showing up on the
desktop. In xfce this poses no problem, because it doesn't have desktop
icons, but I also use kde (at least for now), and it just gets in the way..

So, following the XDG base dir specs, I sugest using
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart/ for this. It has the advantage of using an
unified location, and not getting in the way (as it can be hidden if using
for instance ~/.config).

Also, this idea could be extended if someone wanted to run DM specific
programs. So one could use $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart/kde/ for kde specific
startup scripts, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart/gnome/ for gnome, and
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart/all/ for general startup scripts (scripts that
run for all DM's).

Waiting for feedback.. Cheers,
    Renato Caldas