Unified autostart scripts directory

Thomas Leonard tal at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 21:21:44 EEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:23:44PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Yes, sounds like a good idea to me, shall I write a spec for it?

Good idea. We use the $CHOICES/ROX-Session/AutoStart directory, but an
additional shared location with other desktops would be good (for
programs that make sense in all desktops).

> I would also like to include in the spec:
[...]
> * dependencies between autostarting applications

Shouldn't applications handle that themselves? I guess scripts could do
with some kind of 'dbus-activate' command to ensure their dependencies
are starting, eg:

	#!/bin/sh
	dbus-activate panel
	exec my-applet

I'm not sure what dependencies are needed really, though (in our case,
applets are started by the panel, for example).

> And what about:
> * support for setting environment vars?

We use $CHOICES/ROX-Session/Environment for this, but a shared location
would be better.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net