Unified autostart scripts directory

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Jul 2 14:30:16 EEST 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 21:59, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Having an autostart for simple programs and daemons sounds fine to me
> but I think there is a bit too much being put into this.  In order to
> have a true dependency system of which we are working on with
> libgnomeservice in gnome cvs, it gets a bit more complicated than just
> dropping a file in the right location.
>
> I think having a spec for easily dropping a desktop file in a common
> location to autostart a program is fine but I think we should let
> projects explore the more complicated stuff before writing up a spec
> that will please no one.  Projects have to define and find their needs
> before we can have a unified system.

Within KDE we have a reasonable understanding what the needs are (for KDE) and
we have an implementation that meets those needs. With that said, if you
think it's more appropriate to limit the fd.o spec for now to the "allowing a
user to autostart programs they would like autostarted in their session"
use-case then that's ok with me.

Cheers,
Waldo