Unified autostart scripts directory

cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) cobaco at skolelinux.no
Tue Jul 5 14:40:04 EEST 2005

From comments elsewhere in the thread we seam to have the following for the
different desktops:
- KDE
  $KDEDIRS/Autostart
  $KDEDIRS/env
- ROX:
  $CHOICES/ROX-Session/AutoStart
  $CHOICES/ROX-Session/Environment
- XFCE:
  ~/Desktop/Autostart
- Fluxbox:
  ~/.fluxbox/startup
- GNOME:
  ?

possible extentions/related problems mentioned:
* only start for specific desktops (Use OnlyShowIn or similar?)
* start/run things on other events then startup
  - shutdown  (obvious extension)
  - mount of media (see gnome-volume-manager)
  - keypresses
* complete desktop services framework
* dependencies between autostarting applications

As a first attempt I envision a simple spec that does the following:
- define a number of events for which we'll provide hooks: maybe have both
standard and optional events (e.g. startup and shutdown as standard,
on-mount-media, on-keypress as optional)
- for each of these standard events provide a standard location for the user
to put his .desktop files to be run/ scripts to be sourced

This would give us something like:
- $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/run-at/<event>/execute: contains desktop files to run
when <event> happens (use OnlyShowIn or similar to restrict to certain
dest)
- $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/run-at/<event>/source: contains scripts to be sourced
when <event> happens (pass desktop-name as parameter to allow to do things
for some desktops only?)
- events:
  * standard events [startup, shutdown]
  * optional events ?