Root privileges in Desktop Entry Spec [SoC]

Manu Manu.Cornet at Gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:14:01 EEST 2005

Hello to all !

I'm a member of Google's new "Summer of Code" program, and working for
Ubuntu/GNOME on a project named "Gnome Panel Enhancements".

I have just subscribed to this list, and I know that beginning to post
right now goes against a few "Netiquette" rules, but since participants
are given a limited time for their work (just this summer), I need to be
moving quite quick... Hope I don't get it all wrong :)

So, as one of the first things, I would like to make the GNOME menus to
hide all of the items that require root privileges to non-sudoers.
According to this thread :

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-May/006912.html

it has already been discussed on this list. I will be concentrating on
the root privileges (rather than a more general "other-user" privilege).

I believe that adding a

	RootRequired=yes|no|optional

to the Desktop Entry Specs would do the job ? (Then, I should make the
items with a "RootRequired=yes" field to be hidden for non-sudoers).

Do I get it right ? Is there something I am missing ? Any extra
information is very welcome :)

Thanks a lot for the advice !
Manu Cornet