RFC: Autostart spec, first draft

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 19:19:23 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 13:14 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> First draft, your feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Please send all comments to xdg at freedesktop.org
>
> See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-July/007061.html and follow
> ups for previous discussion.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

A couple of comments.

<quote>
Autostart Of Applications After Mount

- When a new media is mounted the root directory of the media should be
checked for the following files in order of precendence: .autorun,
autorun, autorun.sh Only the first file that is present should be
considered.
</quote>

I'm cool with this since we already support it in GVM.  In Fedora I have
it off by default.

<quote>
Hidden Key
A .desktop file with the Hidden key set to true should be ignored in
such a way that if multiple files with the same filename exist and
the .desktop file in the most important location has the Hidden key set
to true, all other .desktop files with the same name should be ignored
as well.
</quote>

The wording here is a bit confusing.

<quote>
OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn Keys
</quote>

Not sure how useful NotShowIn is since inevitably it will show up in a
desktop that it wasn't intended to.  For the most part your would want
to leave it open or discrete which the OnlyShowIn key covers.  I'm not
objected to having the NotShowIn key though as it is just an extra
compare.

<quote>
A desktop environment MUST NOT automatically start an application if the
corresponding .desktop file has NOT been marked as executable.
</quote>

I don't think this is important though it does make sure the user knows
what they are doing when they drop a desktop file in the directory.