RFC: Autostart spec, first draft

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 8 18:33:55 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 12:33 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> 3) For the case of auto-starting on external media eg CD-ROMs and USB
>     Keys, they may be formatted with a filing system that does not
>     understand the concept of the UNIX +x bit. What do people who want
>     auto-start files in this situation do?

Most OS vendors configure the OS to mount such file systems with the
'exec' option precisely such that people can actually use their media
without the OS slowing them down. Some people (mostly those with lots of
spare time on their hands), that other people (including me) disagree
with, considers this to be insecure. *shrug*.

    David