RFC: Autostart spec, first draft

Timo Stuelten timo at stuelten.de
Sat Jul 9 02:42:22 EEST 2005

Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 21:00 schrieb Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
> something? It's a hard question. Suffice it to say, by the time they
> chose to insert it into their computer, or install it from a package,
> they have chosen to trust it. Putting extra requirements on the
I have to examine the content to judge it, not only the media. That's why
I would always switch of an application autostart mechanism for external
media. (Showing some document/splash/image automatically OTOH probably not)

BTW: If somebody inserts a CD, who decides which session the autostart app
should run in? Usually my girlfriend plugs in her USB-Stick and starts
her own session while the OS mounts the media. Which when using XDMCP?

The initial focus of this thread was "autostart on desktop start".
Security implications should not be as serious as on "media autostart", so
maybe there can be a simple solution first? It would help me a lot,
because I start more desktop sessions than I insert media.

-Timo-

Timo Stuelten -- Braunschweig -- Germany -- mailto: timo at stuelten.de