Menu spec: .desktop filename encoding issue

Travis Watkins alleykat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:28:07 EEST 2005

On 7/20/05, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>    XML solved that problem the following way:
>      - the file has an encoding (with UTF-8 and UTF-16 being the
>        only default encoding, i.e. guessed/assumed if not indicated
>        in the instance)
>      - unknown encoding are fatal error the file can't be read
>      - if the file does not follow that encoding it's a fatal error
>        the file cannot be read
>     - never ever depend on a locale for processing
>
> IMHO XML solved the problem for good that way. Making encoding errors
> fatal also ensured that problems are detected immediately, not on the
> client in the majority of the cases.

At the moment PyXDG bombs out when the DesktopFileID isn't valid
utf-8. Are you saying this should be the way to go? I have a feeling,
just like XML, you'll have most people choose to either ignore the
error and go on or try to autofix the error and go on (users will be
pissed if their menu entries don't show up).

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com