Qt/GTK Skinning

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Mon Jul 25 10:40:53 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 08:33 -0700, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> This probably isn't an appropriate question for
> xdg-list, but you might want to take a look at
> Metatheme:
>
> http://metatheme.advel.cz/

In the end it shouldn't, for the user, matter what windowing system the
user is using. A user doesn't care at all about KD-whatever or
GN-whatever. The user wants it to "just work".

In the end the windowing system should be a developer choice only. Not a
developer target that affects the user.

For the user "shared themes" is one of the components to make this
happen. Other components are "shared infrastructure" like a shared VFS,
a shared configuration system, a shared calendar, a shared contact list,
a shared presence notification system, a shared panel, a shared file
browser and a shared multimedia infrastructure and framework.

Therefore I think it IS an appropriate question for xdg-list. Since it's
one of the important components that ought to be shared by KDE and
GNOME.

Perhaps if enough people like Fabian ask, will the people who decided
that it should be difficult for the user because of their development
choices finally see what they've been doing:

	Making sure nor the GNOME nor the KDE desktops will ever be widely used
and making sure that not a single (custom) software solution provider
will even consider targeting the freedesktop: Simply because they would
need to employ both a group of KDE developers AND a group of GNOME
developers. In stead of just one group of freedesktop developers. Like
on Windows: ONE group of Windows developers.

	Please at least try to understand the consequence of that: Without the
software companies that build such custom solutions for other companies,
you will NOT increase the number of people that use your operating
system as their primary desktop platform. Not at home nor at work.

So yes. Shared themes should be an important subject for the freedesktop
community. An extremely important subject.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be