Menu-Spec and nested AppDirs

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 18:03:07 EEST 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 18:05, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 17:19 +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> > Leave the filename as it is, but put the file in the applications-changed
> > dir and add this AppDir to all edited Menus? This would keep the benefits
> > of the desktop-file-id.
>
> 	(What "benefits" are you referring to here, btw?)
>
> 	So, my suggestion had two parts and I was probably confusing things by
> putting them together:
>
>   1) Use a separate directory for edited .desktop files because if
>      $XDG_DATA_HOME is "/usr/share in your homedir", I think its just
>      as inappropriate to put edited files there as it would be to put
>      them in /usr/share.
>
>      This is really something that should be discussed as "what exactly
>      is $XDG_DATA_HOME for?", rather than just thinking about menu
>      editing, though.
>
>   2) That you give edited files a different desktop file ID so that you
>      no longer have to worry about the order of <AppDir>s in the .menu
>      file when you're implementing a menu editor which
>      modifies .desktop files.
>
>      I think this makes sense for various reasons, but to give one
>      example - consider a .desktop file which is <Include>d in two
>      menus. If a user edits an entry in one menu, she wouldn't also
>      expect it to change in the other menu. (Yes, its a corner case
>      but ....)
>
>      Anyway, its this ".desktop file renaming" part of my suggestion
>      which is really more relevant to the problem you're pointing out.

The problem with that approach is that the relation between original and
renamed file is lost, in particular applications or settings that refer to
the original .desktop file will fail to pick up the changes that the user has
made. It would make the whole concept of the desktop file ID useless.

Cheers,
Waldo