XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jun 9 13:22:05 EEST 2005

CORRECTED POSTING.

Travis Watkins wrote:
> I think we should use gnome-applications.menu, kde-applications.menu,
> etc but still have applications-merged/ merge in to these menus. That
> way each DE/WM can have their own menu and 3rd parties can still put
> things in a standard location and have them show up.

KDE installs:

	applications.menu
	kde-information.menu
	kde-screensavers.menu
	kde-settings.menu
	applications-merged/kde-essential.menu
	applications-merged/kde-multimedia-music.menu

and then if you edit the menu:

	applications-merged/applications-kmenuedit.menu

So, your suggestion would seem to be compatible with the current KDE
practice -- only two would need to be renamed, the first one:
"applications.menu" as you suggest, and the menu edit file.

But, I wonder about how software would parse this.  In the "menu"
directory, there is no problem, the menu would only use the files that
started with "kde-", which the program would know.

But, I have added:

	applications-merged/Engineering.menu
	applications-merged/misc.menu
	applications-merged/xwp-office.menu

as you can see, the third one could be a problem.  Is there a desktop
called: "xwp"?  So, I would suggest that if we are going to do it by
prefix that this be setup like this (in my example):

	kde-applications.menu
	kde-information.menu
	kde-screensavers.menu
	kde-settings.menu
	kde-applications-merged/essential.menu
	kde-applications-merged/multimedia-music.menu
	kde-applications-merged/applications-menuedit.menu
	applications-merged/Engineering.menu
	applications-merged/misc.menu
	applications-merged/xwp-office.menu

and there is no ambiguity even though the parser doesn't know the names
of all the desktops.  All it needs to know for KDE is: "kde" and
"applications".  The last three would be used by all desktops.

--
JRT