Keycodes >0xff

Michał Pytasz mpytasz at pai.net.pl
Tue Jun 14 19:07:59 EEST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

On Tuesday 14 of June 2005 17:42, you wrote:
> Yes, keycodes are limited to 248 (8 codes are reserved for other uses).
>
> We did not forsee any keyboards with more than 248 unique keys; you'll
> need to use codes that are not otherwise in use.  So scancodes will need
> mapping to keycodes in some fashion, rather than being one-to-one.
>
> I challenge you to show me a keyboard with more than 248 actual keys on
> it.

I never said that I have keyboard that has >248 keys. What I meant was a
system returning high scancodes (up to 0x1ff ). I was trying to add some
universal (non confliting with other keyboard models) solution. It won't be
hard to find an unused (for this specific keyboard) keycode but it is not
said it won't (ever) be used for any purpose in another device.

Am I right I sould start playing with xkb/keycodes/aliases and add there an
alias for example for "creative" (or where could I find some specification or
a howto in this matter, most links I "googled" said how to set up keyboard in
xorg.conf)

Can (in xkb files or anywhere else) be done permanent mapping just for this
keyboard model (and 3 of its keys) ?

Michal