Sub-class of text/plain

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Jun 21 02:01:53 EEST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 00:55, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Should we modify gnome-vfs to have an application that advertises the
> proper mime-type rather than one of its parent as the default? (ie. if
> Abiword explicitely mentioned text/rtf, it would be the default, rather
> than GEdit that only supports the parent)

I think it makes sense to prefer an editor for the more specific mimetype (rtf)
rather than an editor bound to the base mimetype. A specialized editor is
often going to do a better job than a generic one...

> Or should we remove from shared-mime-info the subclassing for those
> types that it doesn't make sense to edit as a file? (which would bring
> it inline with a number of other formats that are plain text, but make
> no sense to edit in a text editor, like playlist formats)

I would agree to that too. Can't think of any reason to let end users open
RTF with a text editor - only some office-application-developers should ever
have to do that :)
Andras, since you added X-KDE-text=true to text/rtf.desktop, any objections
to it (well, the xdg equivalent of it) being removed?