Icon parameters in *.desktop files

Josselin Mouette joss at debian.org
Wed Jun 22 18:43:52 EEST 2005

Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 04:26 -0700, James Richard Tyrer a écrit :
> My suggestion is that the "Icon" key be allowed to have a list of icons
> rather than just one.  For example:
>
> 	Icon=kate,editor,text-editor
>
> 	Icon=svg,vectorgfx,image
>
> The icon loader would search for the icons in order, first in the user's
> selected theme, then in any inherited themes, and finally in HiColor.
> So, if a specific icon existed in that theme, it would be used.  If not,
> the icon loader would look for the listed more generic icons.

It would be very nice, as it would simplify the work of the icon theme
maintainers. I have the habit to remove all inheritance from themes that
look very different. For example, making Gorilla inherit icons from
hicolor makes the desktop look inconsistent. However, as more
sophisticated themes include less icons, you need to create a great
bunch of symbolic links to more generic icons - there are almost 200 in
Debian's gnome-themes-extras package.
: :' :           josselin.mouette at ens-lyon.org
`. `'                        joss at debian.org