Small EWMH inconsistency

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jun 27 11:48:57 EEST 2005

On Saturday 25 of June 2005 16:19, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> While reading the 1.4 draft, I noticed that it says:
>
> Note that the actions listed here are those that the Window Manager will
> honor for this window. The operations must still be requested through
> the normal mechanisms outlined in this specification. For example,
> _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE does not mean that clients can send a
> WM_DELETE_WINDOW message to this window; it means that clients can use a
> _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW message to ask the Window Manager to do so.
>

> and a few lines below that, it says:
>

> _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE indicates that the window may be closed (i.e. a
> WM_DELETE_WINDOW message may be sent).
>

> What gives ?
> Are applications supposed to send WM_DELETE_WINDOW or
> _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW ?

 http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.4.html#id2506712 explains
the purpose of _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW. WM_DELETE_WINDOW is sent to windows in
order to close them. _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW should be used by anything else than
the WM, as the WM may do more clever tricks than just plain sending of
WM_DELETE_WINDOW.

 I've fixed the second quoted part to say _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW.

 (The list for the wm-spec is wm-spec-list at gnome.org BTW).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer