Problems with xorg-x11

Erik Jakobsen oz4kk at c.dk
Wed Mar 2 19:02:07 EET 2005

Jeremy C. Reed skrev:
>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
>

>>xorg-x11-6.7.0-11
>>
>>On the server I can see a black screen with the X in it, and can move
>>the X around with my cursor.
>>That should indicate, that the X server is running I think.
>>

>Sounds like it.
>

>>But if I want to compile the Icewm, I get the error, that X is not running.
>>

>You don't need X to be running to compile IceWM. (I have built IceWM
>numerous times without any X running.)

Ok, but Icewm claims about X not running.

>What are the exact errors you receive when attempting to compile IceWM?

Here is the last sample of the configure if Icewm:

checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for basename... yes
checking for sysctlbyname... no
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking types of arguments for select... int,fd_set *,struct timeval *
checking for getloadavg... yes
checking for kern.cp_time... no
checking for X... no
configure: error: X Window System not found
[root at mail icewm-1.2.20]#

>I am guessing you don't have the development headers (and maybe libraries)
>installed.

I just installed the xorg-x11 package. What is the name of the lacking
packages ?.

>In the meanwhile, use twm as your window manager. It is provided with
>xorg. (But you need to install the correct package.)

Ok good, but how can I define the correct package ?.

>Have a look at your available Fedora packages and install more xorg
>packages. This will also fix the warning about your missing fonts.

I will, as the Fedora is not completely installed here, as its main
intention is to
run as a server. I have not been on the Fedora site to search. Can you
tell me what I need there ?.

>(This list is probably the wrong list.)

I was not quite sure about it. Thanks for not cutting my head off.

What is the right list then ?.

> Jeremy C. Reed
>
> 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
>	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/