A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Mar 3 04:20:42 EET 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 01:54 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>Sean Middleditch wrote:

>> Not really the same kind of 'synchronous' - that refers to initiating an
>> operation (like an upload) and waiting until it's complete.  That's
>> application behavior.  You can code that behavior using an asynchronous
>> API.  And in fact, you'd *want* to code it that way, since that way that
>> use can hit Cancel or watch a progress meter or so on.
>
>Depends, sync is faster thats why some p2p apps use it (I cant remember
>which) and they have multithreaded clients for doing multiple
>downloads/uploads.

Again, completely different meaning of synchronous.  Whether your API is
synchronous or not, the exact same syscalls are used in an FTP transfer.

>stat() is also a synchronous operation which if you performed over a
>slow NFS volume would block your main loop too unless its threaded. You
>cant assume all functions will be async in nature - a number are
>synchronous and will block especially on slower volumes so these may
>aggregate to cause bigger latencies.

This is true.

However, stat() really isn't what this library is going to be making a
whole lot of use of.  The whole reason for its existence is network
servers, and *any* network protocol can be implemented asynchronously.
Event stat() can be done asynchronously, really, although in a very
non-portable fashion.  ;-)

I just don't feel that the potential for something like stat blocking
for a few seconds is really that strong of a case for the far greater
complexity that would occur by using only a threaded daemon.  Not to
mention that is also then means you *must* force all file access through
the daemon, even file: access (which is the one that would cause all the
problems).

As I said in my last mail, if a particular backend finds that it has
problems due to a few blocking syscalls or implementation problems, it
can do the threads on its own.

i.e., the daemon says, "hey file backend, I need the meta-data on
file:///usr/share/blah, let me know when it's done."  The file: backend
knows that it could block, potentially for many many minutes, so it
deals with starting and managing threads to carry out its labor.  The
daemon never has to worry about it.  If the backend is run in-process
with the app, it still doesn't have to worry about it.

I really don't feel even that will be needed, though.  Unless you have
some specific examples of actual problems that occur?  Not just
theoretical stuff.

I really don't want to over-engineer this system based purely on
speculation.

If threads *are* necessary, I'm alright with that - but I want concrete
proof that we need it first.

Given the stage in the game we're at, it's not even that big of a
problem right now.  I'd rather we spend our time discussing "what does
the VFS have to do" and not "how will it do it."  :)