D-Conf

Joerg Barfurth jub at sun.com
Fri Mar 4 14:27:34 EET 2005

Hi,

P. Kaluza wrote:
>  "Who is still aiming at becoming XDG's recommended config system ?"
>

> Specifically:
> - Avery, what is the status of UniConf ? what is your current main focus ?
> - Havoc, have your nice "GConf NG" ideas ever been cast into code by the
> gconf team ?
> - What about the Elektra team ?

Apparently config4gnu has wandered off into a different direction!?

There also is the OpenOffice.org configuration system. Note that we are
not in any way "aiming at becoming XDG's recommended config system". In
fact we lack several features that are necessary for that purpose and
don't plan on adding them. Parts of our implementation are definitely
too heavyweight and too OOo-specific. OTOH we have some features and
concepts that other systems lack. We have a schema system which enforces
schema compliance. We have a powerful cascading/layering system. And we
have a rather flexible namespace.

Actually we sucessfully reused some of those concepts (and the file
formats) for a system to manage the GNOME desktop and several
applications. That system is currently proprietary, but it shows that
using these features in a larger scope is possible.

> Please note that i am NOT interested in any "and you can stack system X
> ontop of Y"-type arguments - these will help in evaluating neither X nor Y.

I think that none of the contending systems have all the required
features. Maybe it will be necessary to stack pieces of the different
contenders on top of each other to get the full system.

Ciao, Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         joerg.barfurth at sun.com
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org