DVFS and Metadata

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Mar 7 23:11:13 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 15:54 -0500, CHonton at xteric.com wrote:

> How complex is the metadata being contemplated?   I think that an api
> returning a string value for a string key should be considered for
> D-VFS.   A handful of metadata keys such as "Content-Type",
> "Content-Length", "Content-Language", and "Content-Location", can be
> quite useful.  Some protocols will have this information in headers
> (eg. http), other protocols can emulate most of this information (eg.
> file)

I'm thinking something along those lines, yes.  The "important" items
would have their own accessor functions (and may be stored in a more
optimized form in the metadata structure), but it would basically just
be a dictionary with strings for keys and values.

The "important" items would file size, file type, modification date,
creation date (=modification if backend doesn't support this), encoding
(extracted from mime type where appropriate), and of course file name.
Did I miss anything?