trying to understand XDG - a plea for help

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Mar 8 00:20:21 EET 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:49:54 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>>Why can't I make my own *.tomek extension and attach
>>it to /usr/local/bin/tomek program (written by me)?
>

> You can! Read the mime types document/spec. You need to make sure there is
> a match for it (so an xml file) then mark your programs .desktop file as
> handling that mime type. It's pretty straightforward.
>

>>If a user downloads Adobe Acrobat Reader, why he/she can't then
>>associate it with pdf extension?
>

> If Acrobat ships a .desktop which is up to date they can do.

Well, Adobe doesn't ship it (at least not with Acrobat Reader 7 beta).

And certainly I dont ship it with my 10-line program I put into
/usr/local/bin/my_binary, which I'd like to associate with *.myextension.

The problem is, it seems impossible to do simple task (in KDE) like:

- right click on a file with *.myextension
- choose "Open with... -> Other"
- choose /usr/local/bin/my_binary
- set "Remember application association for this type of file".

So if it's my distribution's bug, I'll report it there.

But if for each and every extension (and a different program to open
that extension with) user Joe has to create a ."desktop" file, I
consider it's something wrong with XDG?

Tomek