Preparing GConf for the next generation (D-Conf related)

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Tue Mar 8 15:34:51 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 14:19 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

> I'm just saying that you shouldn't call it GConf-3 (not anywhere)
> because all of the sudden someone is going to read it on a mailing list
> and think that it's indeed GConf-3. Or even worth, people start using
> your version and when the GConf maintainers start working on the real
> GConf 3 (unless it's in fact the fork you've created) there will be a
> huge bit of confusion involved.

I hope this way it's more clear :)

freax at lort:~/cvs/own/gconf-3 $ touch THIS_IS_NOT_GCONF_3
freax at lort:~/cvs/own/gconf-3 $ cvs add THIS_IS_NOT_GCONF_3
freax at lort:~/cvs/own/gconf-3 $ cvs commit

(done, btw)

> Hmm .. I still haven't seen any comments (from you or others) on the
> requirements from KDE, OpenOffice.org, ... Without them it would be a
> waste of time at this point to do major redesigning in GConf to meet
> their (unknown) requirements.

Perhaps could the KDE, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla, etc people now post
their list of requirements? :-)

I can't guess that list for them since I'm just a user of their
softwares. Not really a (application) developer. I do develop GNOME
applications. So I have an idea of the requirements for that. And IMHO
has GConf, at this moment, all (most of) the required features for GNOME
application development.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org