A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

Timo Stülten t.stuelten at tu-bs.de
Tue Mar 8 20:50:40 EET 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 18:17, xdg-request at lists.freedesktop.org wrote:
> I don't buy it. What is a 'document'? Is a C file a document? It is when
If you find the definition let me know! I'm searching for years now...
BTW: is the TeX-file, the PDF-File or the printed sheet of paper the
document? ;)

> If you consider name unification to be a good thing, then D-VFS is broken
> from the beginning. By design, it creates a second parallel namespace.
> From an interface point of view, two vs four namespaces is no big deal.
> One vs two is an enormous deal.
Correct me, if i'm wrong:
FUSE uses a local namespace, DVFS uses a global namespace with globally and
locally interpretable addresses. FUSE tries to hide the semantics for
non-local-file-access behind the semantics for local-access.
DVFS tries to take differences between semantics into account.

-Timo-

Timo Stuelten
mailto: t.stuelten at tu-bs.de