A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Tue Mar 8 22:01:51 EET 2005

Sean Middleditch wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:37 -0500, gtg990h at mail.gatech.edu wrote:
>

>>other applications in which 'desktop' and 'CLI' apps have to work together.
>>We're talking about UNIX desktops here --- CLI apps won't just go away, and its
>>useful to the user to allow them to work together.
>>

>Then they will need to be ported just like the desktop apps.  I'm rather
>looking forward to getting some CLI apps using D-VFS, such as Vim.

I agree with that - DVFS should also work in a GUI-less environment -
but there might be a problem with secure authentication. If
authentication callbacks are directed to the client application like in
Gnome-VFS it would be easy: The CLI client application could just prompt
the user for the password. But if you want a secure solution with a
"trusted helper process to do all user interaction" (I think KIO does it
that way) this might be more complicated...

Cheers,
Norbert