system and desktop VFS merged

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Mar 28 03:33:25 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 00:21 +0300, rosen georgiev wrote:

> > If people are going to implement system-level hacks to access D-VFS, I
> > really do think the absolute best bet is to make open() recognize a URI
> > and start talking to the D-VFS daemon instead of the kernel. Better
> > performance, better compatibility with other D-VFS apps, and easier to
> > port to other systems. There are some problems with such an approach,
> > but they're things I'm quite sure the Free Software community can
> > tackle. You're all a bright bunch. ;-)
> >

> ammm ... no system-level hacks, it sound too time consumeing

What do you think FUSE is?  Or a magic automounter for D-VFS?

> > > 2) All programs that use a Desktop VFS and spawn processes
> > > must give them the absolute path (/vfst/protocol/<path>). except
> > > for the file:// protocol in this case file://<path> will be just <path>
> > >
> > > The files under /vfs will be owned by the user who accessed them
> > > and that is save enough right?
> >
> > I don't think there's any real security problem with a /vfs system.
> > Just general ugliness. ;-)
> >

> but it makes *so many* things *so easy*. and nobody will actualy know
> about them except the D-VFS developers. well app developers will
> need to know about "2)" . but just give them a function to convert to
> the full path and they have nothing to complain about.
>
> is the reason for rejecting them just it's "ugliness" !?

Design ugliness, yes.  It's over-complicated and isn't necessary.  D-VFS
should not bend over backwards to work for apps that *should* just
update to the newer API.  If people want to implement FUSE backends or
other hacks to help legacy apps, that's great, I'm all for that.  But
that should be orthogonal to D-VFS, so that when the important apps are
all ported over, the hacks can disappear and nobody will know, and we
won't be stuck supporting APIs and system we already know aren't good
enough 10, 20 years down the road.