menu-spec: Making menu-editing work, cleaning up <Move> semantics

Matt Kynaston mattkyn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:25:05 EEST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:30:40 +0100, Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose the attached change to the menu-spec, the explanation
> is given below.

This hasn't had much response, so I'll chip in my +1.

It sounds like an excellent idea to me. The spec seems to be missing a
trick when it says "<Move> is used primarily to fix up legacy
directories". And the wording about using Moves in menu editing is
most off-putting - to the point where it seems the most realistic way
for a menu editor to accomplish a move is to <Deleted> the old menu
and copy the contents to a new menu. Definitely not ideal.

But I'm coming at this completely from the menu editing side. Am I
right that they will be the only depth-first processing the menu
parser needs to do? Will that add much overhead?

FWIW, in my current installs (KDE 3.4 and Gnome 2.10) I can only find
Move being used once - in kde-essential.menu.

Matt