system and desktop VFS merged

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 31 23:11:32 EEST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 21:48, Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:24:25 -0800 (PST),
>
> Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in> escribió:
> > > I already told that. OSs who don't implement
> > > themselves userspace filesytems
> > > will have to live without them.
> >
> > not really acceptable as a freedesktop solution
>
> It shouldn't be acceptable to tidy the whole system design, either. And I'd
> continue arguing that freedesktop has no bussines in how userspace
> filesystems should be done, since it affects quite more apps than those
> belonging to desktop

While it might be a good idea to have a different layer of the software stack
handle it, the need for it seems currently only be there for DEs and their
applications.

Once you have introduced functionality and your users really like them, you
can't remove them just because it would be better be implemented by somebody
else.

Sure, MIME information should ideally be retrievable directly from the
filesystem layer, but realistically you need, at least for the moment, some
workarounds like guessing based on magic codes and file extensions.

Anyway.
As it seems you have a far superior API in mind which both fullfills the needs
of the currently used VFS implementations _and_ is also applicable to those
standard file access apps, I am wondering where you have it posted.

Currently only Sean seems to be the only one putting concrete suggestions
online.

Cheers,
Kevin